Thursday 21 October 2010

Joey's Walk

Since I am on half term it's a perfect time to take Joey the greyhound on nice long walks in the country. That plan seems to have been kiboshed since Joey managed to run into a clay pit, inconveniently containing a barb wire fence. He landed feet first up to his body in this muddy brown water. It was quite a sight but judging by the loud woof that Joey gave it did't go down to well, particularly as Joey despises getting wet!

When he emerged from the pit, which I thought at one stage I was going to have to wade in and lift him out, I was very relieved. Fortunetly just before I reached him, with one large jump, he was out, but not without the muddy substance spattered all over his legs, tail, body and some even reached his nose!

I was unprepared and didn't have a towl, as he never before had an urge to paddle. This meant that I had to use my coat to dry Joey off. Under further inspection I realized that Joey had a large cut on his nose.I later found three cuts on hus legs, and a large graze down his chest, being a greyhound with tight skin which tears easily didn't help. After a bath with some doggie shampoo the brown substance still refused to budge. I had to bathe his wounds with salt water and use cotton wool with warm water to move the brown unfashionable colour off his legs.

I later took him to the vets where he had two jabs, one painkiller and one antibacterial. Joey is now recovering nicely and we are watching television together under a blanket!

No comments:

Post a Comment